The election of the President was finalised at the DSBA’s AGM on 27 October 2021.
“It is a great honour to accept the Office of President of the DSBA for the coming 12 months. To be leading an association of over 3,000 practising solicitors is a personal privilege, however this is also a time of great challenge as well,” said Mr Gallagher following his election.
In his comments to the AGM, Mr Gallagher outlined a number of areas that the DSBA will represent its members on this year, namely:
• The need to address the serious challenges that solicitors face to obtain Professional Indemnity Insurance.
• The need to address delays in Court lists.
• The need to fully address the impact of bullying and sexual harassment in the profession, noting the recent Dignity Matters, Law Society Survey.
• The need to adapt to rapid changes that have taken place over the past 18 months such as the introduction of remote court hearings, remote working and new legal business models.
• The need to highlight the importance of wellbeing for solicitors and the need to maintain collegiality amongst solicitors.
• The need to support the profession’s role as the champions of the rule of law and the need to advocate for adequate legal aid and effective remedies in Ireland.
• The need to acknowledge and celebrate the essential role that solicitors play in delivering legal services that touch every aspect of society.
Mr Gallagher paid particular tribute to DSBA staff members Maura Smith, Anna Healy and Elaine Bracken for the work done in the DSBA office, particularly over the past 18 months. Mr Gallagher noted the move of office premises and successful delivery of remote online seminars.
In his closing remarks, Mr Gallagher noted that next year will be a time of further change. However, the DSBA will continue to advocate for the welfare and interests of its members, encourage collegiality and recognise the crucial role and achievements made by solicitors. Mr Gallagher congratulated the outgoing President, Joe O’Malley, on his sterling work as President over the last 12 months.
The following people have been elected to the DSBA Council for 2021-22:
Vice President: Susan Martin
Honorary Treasurer: Matthew Kenny
Programmes Director: Niall Cawley
Honorary Secretary: Paul Ryan